(let's try this again) Welcome to the Paw forum /intro yrsef

discussion about Paw

Re: (let's try this again) Welcome to the Paw forum /intro yrsef

Postby bdinger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:22 am

NickTheLick wrote:Also!
I have virtually all the Paw material. Drop me a line if you want to download anything...

Dragline
Death To Traitors
Keep The Last Bullet For Yourself
Home Is A Strange Place
" " " " - Demo
" " " " - Pre-release Alternative mix
Sleeping Bag
Couldn't Know
Jessie cd 1
Jessie cd 2
Seasoned Glove - Promo Tour cd
Traitors & Covers - Promo cd
Hope I Die Tonight
Surrender - SFW Promo cd
Live @ The Bottleneck 22nd Sept.2000 - 2cd Bootleg
Live @ The Bottleneck 24th July 2000 - 2cd Bootleg
Live @ CBGBs, NY 1999 - Bootleg
Live @ Soundways 21st April 1994 & Emos 10th May 1995, Austin, Texas - Bootleg

And... Palomar - World Without Horses

What's the difference between the "Death To Traitors Pre-Release Alternative Mix" and the actual Death To Traitors that ended up being released? Sound quality? Different songs?

Thanks.
bdinger

Postby defgav » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 pm

bdinger wrote:
NickTheLick wrote:Also!
I have virtually all the Paw material. Drop me a line if you want to download anything...

Dragline
Death To Traitors
Keep The Last Bullet For Yourself
Home Is A Strange Place
" " " " - Demo
" " " " - Pre-release Alternative mix
Sleeping Bag
Couldn't Know
Jessie cd 1
Jessie cd 2
Seasoned Glove - Promo Tour cd
Traitors & Covers - Promo cd
Hope I Die Tonight
Surrender - SFW Promo cd
Live @ The Bottleneck 22nd Sept.2000 - 2cd Bootleg
Live @ The Bottleneck 24th July 2000 - 2cd Bootleg
Live @ CBGBs, NY 1999 - Bootleg
Live @ Soundways 21st April 1994 & Emos 10th May 1995, Austin, Texas - Bootleg

And... Palomar - World Without Horses

What's the difference between the "Death To Traitors Pre-Release Alternative Mix" and the actual Death To Traitors that ended up being released? Sound quality? Different songs?

Thanks.

Home Is a Strange Place, you mean?
Here's the info I got on the site..
There were actually 3 versions of the songs that ended up as Home is a Strange Place. The first ones were all in mono (my fault.. The original recording was stereo. The copy I made from Mark's casette ended up in mono). They included "St. Jude" and "2 Brothers". You can also tell that in "Blow Wind", Grant has no vocal track. The second version of those songs were much closer to the final release. Grant had a vocal track in "Blow Wind". "2brothers" and "St. Jude" were droppped. "Into the Woods" was added. Also, there is a little acoustic outro at the end of "Blow Wind" that was later dropped. These are cd quality. The final release added a lot of lead guitar to "Naiad", and some vocal effects to all the other songs. Drums were also added to "Into the Woods".
defgav

Postby bdinger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:44 am

defgav wrote:Home Is a Strange Place, you mean?
Here's the info I got on the site..

I totally misread that... I was thinking it was for Death to Traitors, not Home is a Strange Place. Thanks for the clarification! :oops:

Speaking of which, "St. Jude" and "Two Brothers" are both great songs. It's a shame they never ended up on the final album.
bdinger

Postby srhmusic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:15 am

these guys got me through a lot of high school. i used to listen to their music constantly. i regret never seeing them play live. i live in buffalo now and i would drive/fly to kansas just to see them play. if anyone ever hears of a reunion please let me know.
srhmusic

Postby co_fragment » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Great site with tons of links to rare stuff to download. My only problem is that it's a bit scattered, with links to other sites here and there and to uploaded files on rapidshare, etc on the forum, is there any way you could compile everything into one big media gallery? I realise that might have legal issues, but if possible would be great.

Personally, I've been a fan since 1993. The first and only time I got to see them live was in the 'The Rig' in Nottingham (UK) back in 1995 (I think, would have to dig my tickets out to confirm). It easily ranks in my favourite shows ever, a tiny venue, only a hand full of fans - maybe 30 or so - but Paw didn't care and neither did we, it seemed like everyone was down the front, singing and jumping around, drinking beers as the band handed them out. Paw rocked out like crazy and I left exhausted with a shirt and a giant smile on my face.

While Dragline was what got me into Paw and still has some amazing songs on it (Jessie, Couldn't Know, Sleeping Bag, The Bridge and One More Bottle in particular), Death to Traitors is spectacular. While still containing the variety of song styles in Dragline it includes a slightly more 'folk/country' feel, with even more melancholy and heartfelt intelligent lyrics. It still gets regular play now, 15 years on and still sounds like nothing else out there.
co_fragment

Wow, fellow Paw fans!

Postby Captain Hazzard » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm so glad I found this site tonight, good to know Paw are still being listened to.

I first heard Paw in 1994 on a british tv programme called Noisy Mothers, they played the Jessie video. I went out and bought Dragline the next day. A few weeks later I saw that they were playing in my town, I was so excited! They played at the Roadmender in Northampton, they were supporting Headswim, another criminally under rated band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FjSc19loA

That gig was amazing, the Roadmender is quite a small venue anyway, and Paw were put in the even smaller bar room to play. It was awesome, the band and fans so close together. Mid set I got a hug with Mark, and at the end of the night he gave me their set list, still one of my most treasured posessions. On the way out I bought a shirt, which I still wear. Nearly worn through it actually!

I was lucky enough to get hold of both Death to Traitors and Home Is A Strange Place on their release dates.

I used to sing in a covers band too and we used to play Jessie and Couldn't Know, always went down really well with the crowd.

I've rambled way too much! Peace out yo!

Dill
Captain Hazzard

Postby dhaight » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:40 am

Hey everyone. Stumbled across this forum while searching in the hopes to find any new info on what the guys from PAW were up to. Glad to see some others that fell in love with such a great band. I got to see them 2 times at the 9:30 club in Washington DC, once for each album. Favorite memory of any show I have seen was somehow getting backstage/downstairs into the band area after their gig and drinking canned budweisers out of their cooler. I had just gotten one of my first tats and was comparing tats with Mark. Anyways, the last show I was supposed to see was at the Bayou in DC (Georgetown) which got canceled due to weather I believe. Then they broke up. I feel like I never got closure with the band and keep dreaming of seeing one last reunion...or at least one more attempt at recording.
dhaight

Postby parheliagreg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:28 am

Greg from Dublin (Ireland) here. I got into the band after first hearing Jessie. They actually played here in the early 90's but at 13/14 I couldn't go. By all accounts it was a great show.

If anyone's looking to offload any Paw material I'd be interested in hearing from them. I have almost everything, but am looking for Cassette editions of the two albums, Keep The Last Bullet for Yourself and Lolita on vinyl. I'm not interested in downloads so if anyone has any of the above drop me a line.

Greg
parheliagreg

Postby Dragline » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 am

Surprised no-one has this username!

Anyway - I thought I'd register my affection for this fine band. I'm based in the UK and got introduced to Paw, like many people I guess, through the game Road Rash. I did like a few of the tracks on that game but for some reason the Paw tracks really stood out to me. I bought Dragline what must be at least 12-13 years ago now and honestly there isn't a month that goes by that it doesn't get a bit of time in the CD player.

The funny thing is rock / metal isn't my type of music. I'm into electronica, dance, easy listening type stuff... but there's just something about this album. I don't think I'll ever get bored of it. In fact I misplaced my CD some months back and after a lot of hunting (sustained only by the fact I'd ripped it to MP3 some time back) I decided I had to get hold of it again whilst I still can so have sourced another copy.

I also own a copy of Death to Traitors.. not as good (to me) though there are still a few stand out tracks.

Anyway - nice to see a small community still going for this great band. Cheers.
Dragline

Postby spidey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm not even sure what exactly I was searching for related to Paw today when I stumbled onto this forum. From what little I've seen so far, there's a wealth of info here. Amazing! Anyway, I am from NE Ohio and I got into Paw because my buddy would randomly buy tapes from the music store because he always needed something new to listen to. He picked Paw for no apparent reason. I wasn't blown away at first but when I got sick of my limited amount of cassette tapes, I borrowed Dragline and some others out of desperation. That's when it clicked! Such an amazing band, sad I never got to see them in concert. Although I do have a couple VHS bootlegs laying around here somewhere.

So far I've purchased the Hoarse CD to hear the "original" Sweet Sally Brown and I am about to listen to the Death to Traitors demos that I can't believe exist. Once again, amazing!!
spidey

PreviousNext

Return to Paw